Pregnancy, breastfeeding, and childbearing, though often the most joyful experiences of an adult woman’s life, can cause significant changes to a San Francisco woman’s body. From a loss of skin laxity and loose abdominal skin from the postpartum shrinking of a pregnant woman’s swollen belly to breast volume loss and sagging from pregnancy and breastfeeding. Women may also have stubborn fatty deposits from pregnancy and weight gain that just won’t go away despite the practice of a strict diet and exercise regimen. Many postpartum women feel self-conscious and unhappy with the appearance of their new bodies. For this reason, Dr. Kaplan consults with many Bay Area women every year about a combination of plastic surgery procedures designed to restore and rejuvenate their postpartum bodies which is commonly referred to as a “Mommy Makeover.”
What Procedures Are Included in a Mommy Makeover?
A San Francisco woman working with Dr. Kaplan at Pacific Heights plastic surgery can customize her mommy makeover surgery to include any number of procedures that address her problem areas. Typically, Bay Area women choose to have the following combination of surgeries during their mommy makeovers:
- A Tummy Tuck, to reduce sagging and loose abdominal skin and fix separated abdominal muscles, medically referred to as diastasis recti, which is a common result of pregnancy.
- A Breast Augmentation, to add lost volume after breastfeeding has ceased.
- A Breast Lift, for San Francisco mommy makeover patients who have sagging breasts or excess breast skin as a result of pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Liposuction, to remove fat deposits gained during pregnancy that won’t go away despite diet and exercise. It should be noted that liposuction is not a weight loss solution for postpartum women and women undergoing liposuction should be at or near their goal weight, as liposuction only eliminates about 4lbs of fat per session.
Is It Safe to Have All Multiple Procedures Performed at Once?
Many San Francisco women who come to Pacific Heights Plastic Surgery to inquire about a mommy makeover are understandably concerned and curious about the safety of having multiple plastic surgery procedures performed during one surgery. They may also wonder if it is a good idea to be under general anesthesia for the amount of time that the combination these procedures requires. The overall health of all potential mommy makeover patients will be evaluated by Dr. Kaplan to confirm that they are good candidates for surgery, but typically a mommy makeover is a safe procedure for most women.
Not only is it safe to be under anesthesia for several hours and to combine multiple plastic surgery procedures, doing so is more cost-effective and convenient. When you choose to combine procedures, you will only pay one fee for the anesthesia, surgical staff, pre, and post-op team, as well as the surgical facility or hospital fees versus multiple fees for surgeries, performed on separate occasions. Additionally, combining plastic surgery procedures streamlines the recovery time from each surgery so that you won’t need to take as much time off from work, school, and have fewer consecutive days or weeks of extra help around the home while you recover.
Am I A Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Merely desiring a better silhouette or a return to the pre-pregnancy body’s state doesn’t qualify a San Francisco woman for a mommy makeover. Dr. Kaplan interviews each of his potential mommy makeover candidates extensively. One reason for this lengthy and thorough consultation is to discuss whether or not you’re done having children. While it is safe to have subsequent pregnancies after a mommy makeover, doing so may negate the results you achieve from your surgery. Since Dr. Kaplan wants to provide his Bay Area mommy makeover patients with long-lasting results, he generally chooses candidates who are done having children and have a solid birth control plan in place.
Additionally, Dr. Kaplan requires that his San Francisco mommy makeover candidates are:
- In good general health and have passed a pre-op appointment from their general practitioner.
- Are nonsmokers, as smoking can complicate the surgery as well as the patient’s recovery time.
- Have listened to Dr. Kaplan about the probable outcome of their mommy makeover, and have communicated to him that they have realistic expectations for their procedures.
- Are in good psychological health.
What Will Happen During My Consultation with Dr. Kaplan?
When you come into Pacific Heights Plastic Surgery for a consultation with Dr. Kaplan, you’ll be treated with the utmost care and respect. Dr. Kaplan will spend an extensive amount of time listening to your concerns about your problem areas, as well as understanding what you would like your desired results to be. He encourages women to bring in photographs or magazine clippings that display how they would like their silhouette to appear.
To ensure you are a proper candidate for a mommy makeover, Dr. Kaplan will review his list of criteria for surgery and get your full medical history. He’ll examine your problem areas to determine what type of results he can deliver. And he’ll explain all your chosen procedures and help guide you in choosing breast implants should you desire a breast augmentation.
To schedule an initial mommy makeover consultation with Dr. Kaplan today, call his San Francisco offices at (415) 923-3005.